Re: Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels

HI Pekka,

--- Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Ralph Droms wrote:
> > Jonne - thanks for your reply.  After I posted my
> question, I found
> > out through private e-mail that 3GPP2 will use
> DHCPv6 for configuration
> > of a MIP home agent address.
> >
> > If I understand your response about 3GPP
> correctly, there is at least
> > one other configuration parameter supplied through
> DHCPv6.
> >
> > It sounds like tunnel configuration through DHCPv6
> might still be
> > feasible, as both 3GPP and #GPP2 are defining the
> use of DHCPv6 for
> > other configuration information.
>
> Nope.  You really can't set up IPv6 connectivity
> (v6-in-v4 tunnel)
> using DHCPv6 when you don't have v6 in the first
> place ;-).

Not necessarily true.
One can establish a unidirectional tunnel first,
and then tunnel DHCPv6 to create the tunnel on the
other side. Of course this requires knowledge of the
IPv4 address of the other side of the tunnel
termination
point.

And this procedure may be different from the way the
DHCPv6 is being used currently.
the way it is being use