Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa broken

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:12:00PM +0200, Lee Wilmot wrote:
>  * 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa is also broken in all colors.
>
> As far as I know, this zone has not yet been inserted in the DNS tree
> (maybe because setup is incomplete)

This was my idea as well, as I pointed out.

> and the queries you are making will not be relevant to recursive
> queries starting at the root.

They _are_ relevant. A resolver queries the roots, they delegate to
the ip6.arpa nameservers. One of those is ns-sec.ripe.net. If a
resolver then goes on asking ns-sec.ripe.net for 2.0.0.2.arpa, the
resolver _does_ get an answer. So it _is_ relevant.

> But perhaps your mail stems from an announcement made on the v6ops
> list about setup of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa being complete ?

Uhm no idea. I just assumed that things should work, as ns-sec.ripe.net
returned some SOA for that.

>  * What a mess all over... why do ns.apnic.net and ns.icann.org return
>  * NXDOMAIN when queried for the NS RRset for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa, but
>  * ns-sec.ripe.net returning one?
>
> Where are any of these servers listed for the zone ? Why are you
> querying them ?

Those are the servers for ip6.arpa.

> The reason for ns-sec.ripe.net returning an answer is an unfortunate
> curiousity of RIPE NCC's current nameserver rearrangement which is
> irrelevant since it will never be listed as a nameserver for
> 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.

Resolvers start from the root and work their way up. ns-sec.ripe.net
is one of the ip6.arpa servers, so it would answer.

>  * I wonder where's the right place to report such global (multi-RIR/org)
>  * DNS problems to, if not v6ops. I see no "global IPv6 operations" list,
>  * can anyone enlighten me?
>
> I think the best place to start reporting zone-specific DNS problems
> is with the SOA record RNAME.

Well, as it was not clear which zone/server actually had what problem,
to which SOA contact? Well yes, dns-admin@apnic.net would have been
an idea, according to the SOA present for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa at
ns-sec.ripe.net.

BTW... I've tried mailing noc@icann.org to have them fix
the broken int. TLD delegation, but this went unanswered. Not
encouraging.  ns.isi.edu is now authoritative again for int., but
ns.ripe.net is still not in the delegation NS RRset within the
root zone, albeit being listed in the NS RRset of the int. zone.

Regards,
Daniel