Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa broken

 Daniel Roesen <dr@cluenet.de> writes:

 * 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa is also broken in all colors.

As far as I know, this zone has not yet been inserted in the DNS tree
(maybe because setup is incomplete) and the queries you are making
will not be relevant to recursive queries starting at the root.

But perhaps your mail stems from an announcement made on the v6ops
list about setup of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa being complete ?
In that case I understand your concern!

<SNIP>

 * Now looking at the NS RRset ns-sec.ripe.net returns for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa:
 *
 *   == ns-apnic.6to4.nro.net. ns-arin.6to4.nro.net. ns-lacnic.6to4.nro.net.
 *   == ns-ripe.6to4.nro.net.
 *
 * soa @ns-apnic.6to4.nro.net. for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. serial: 2004072901
 * dig @ns-arin.6to4.nro.net. for SOA of 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. failed
 * soa @ns-lacnic.6to4.nro.net. for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. serial: 2004072901
 * soa @ns-ripe.6to4.nro.net. for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. serial: 2004072901
 *
 * ==> ns-arin.6to4.nro.net == tinnie.arin.net, so we have the same IPv6
 *     reachability problem again
 *

 * What a mess all over... why do ns.apnic.net and ns.icann.org return
 * NXDOMAIN when queried for the NS RRset for 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa, but
 * ns-sec.ripe.net returning one?

Where are any of these servers listed for the zone ? Why are you
querying them ?

The reason for ns-sec.ripe.net returning an answer is an unfortunate
curiousity of RIPE NCC's current nameserver rearrangement which is
irrelevant since it will never be listed as a nameserver for
2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.

 * It looks like the whole 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa
 * is missing in the ip6.arpa zone,
 * and ns-sec.ripe.net is only by chance
 * carrying the 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa zone, thus returning the NS RRset.
 *
 * I wonder where's the right place to report such global (multi-RIR/org)
 * DNS problems to, if not v6ops. I see no "global IPv6 operations" list,
 * can anyone enlighten me?

I think the best place to start reporting zone-specific DNS problems
is with the SOA record RNAME.

Lee Wilmot
RIPE NCC