mech-v2-05rc

Hi,

We seem to be getting close to being done; I'd like to submit the
drafts today and conclude this discussion:

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2-05rc.txt
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2-05rc-diff.html

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
> I would thus suggest to say something like the following:
>
>  Configured tunnelling:
>
>                 IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnelling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint
>                 address(es) are determined by configuration information
>                 on tunnel endpoints.  All tunnels are assumed to be
>                 bidirectional.  At the IPv6 layer the tunnel provides
>                 a virtual point-to-point link, the lower layer endpoints
>                 of which are the IPv4 tunnel endpoint addresses

OK -- I tweaked it a bit to:

        Configured tunneling:

                IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling where the IPv4 tunnel endpoint
                address(es) are determined by configuration information
                on tunnel endpoints.  All tunnels are assumed to be
                bidirectional.  At the IPv6 layer the tunnel provides a
                (virtual) point-to-point link, the lower layer endpoints
                of which are the configured IPv4 addresses.

> An additional issue (really minor - may be ignored)
> that I have with 05 is the second last paragraph
> on page 6:
>
> "In configured tunnelling, the tunnel endpoint address is determined
>    from configuration information in the encapsulator.  For each tunnel,
>    the encapsulator must store the tunnel endpoint address.  When an
>    IPv6 packet is transmitted over a tunnel, the tunnel endpoint address
>    configured for that tunnel is used as the destination address for the
>    encapsulating IPv4 header."
>
> Reading this I can't help wondering - "and what about the source
> address ?". It would be good for completeness also to say where the
> source address comes from, if nothing else then simply by adding a
> reference to a place in the doc, where this is specified.

It's hinted at in the last paragraph of that section, and in section
3.5, so I reworded the paragraph to:

   In configured tunneling, the tunnel endpoint addresses are determined
   in the encapsulator from configuration information stored for each
   tunnel.  When an IPv6 packet is transmitted over a tunnel, the
   destination and source addresses for the encapsulating IPv4 header
   are set based on that information as described in Section 3.5.