Re: mech-v2-05pre

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Fred Templin wrote:
> --- Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:
> > Of course, if there's another spec down the road which modifies
> > proto-41 configured tunnels behaviour somehow so that other IP
> > protocols than just "6" are OK, that's fine as well.  The question is
> > just about whether unmodified configured tunnels could support
> > protocols other than "6", which doesn't seem to be the case..
>
> As far as I can tell, no one is suggesting *support* for protocols
> other than "6".
>
> The suggestion is for the specification to declare as out-of-scope
> the behavior for packets discovered to have version other than "6"
> after the encapsulating IPv4 header is discarded.

Right, and in such a case there'a very little difference to just
specifying drop here (and specifying the other protocols elsewhere),
or declaring it out of scope (and implying a drop and specification
elsewhere).

Just because this spec says they MUST be dropped doesn't mean some
other spec cannot say that instead of dropping, something else needs
to be done about them.

(Example: options which are "must be zero and ignored", which later
specifications define and specify meanings for.  In this case, there's
just no need for "ignored" because we don't expect interoperability.)