Re: mech-v2-05pre

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Alex Conta wrote:
> > I could replace "manually configured" by "configured by the
> > administrator", if that would sound better without "automatically
> > selected".. otherwise I'd prefer to leave it as is.
> >

> Actually "...administrator" sounds better.

OK.

> > [...]
> >>The "automatic selection of source address" relies on *route* selection:
> >>this is always deterministic. The selected route to destination yields
> >>the outgoing interface, which is also deterministic.
> >
> > Not necessarily if you run routing protocols.
>
> The selection of a route, and yielding the outgoing interface is a
> deterministic process - longest prefix match is the algorithm -
> regardless of using routing protocols, or manually configured routes.
>
> Note, a route change may occur even if you do not use routing protocols:
> an operator can enter any time commands to add/change/remove routes,
> which may have exactly the same effect as dynamic routing changing of
> routes.
>
> Route changes somewhere
> > in the net could change the outgoing interface to be more optimal,
> > while the original interface's addresses could still work as well.
> >

> I just realize, that you and I used the word "deterministic" to mean
> different things. So I am going to change the text you last suggested,
> to reflect your meaning.

Possibly.  I used it roughly in the meaning, "is out of the control of
the administrator of the node, i.e., the behaviour is stable and can
be pre-determined by the administrator", i.e., if the admin manually
changes routing tables, that's OK, but if dynamical routing protocol
changes them, that's different.

> > Maybe it should be elaborated with another sentence like:
> >
> >  Configuring the source address is appropriate particularly in cases
> >  in which automatic selection of source address is not deterministic;
> >  this is often the case, e.g., with multiple addresses or with
> >  multiple interfaces when using routing protocols.
>
> Configuring the source address is appropriate particularly in cases in
> which automatic selection of source address is producing different
> results in a certain period of time. This is often the case with
> multiple addresses, and multiple interfaces, when routes change frequently.

OK, with a bit more conditionals thrown in the mix, because just the
possibility of it happening should be sufficient to manually configure
the address

Configuring the source address is appropriate particularly in cases in
which automatic selection of source address may produce different
results in a certain period of time. This is often the case with
multiple addresses, and multiple interfaces, or when routes may change
frequently.