Re: Unreachability detection at tunnels servers WAS: RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
Dear All,

An issue of general character has been brought up in connection with the zero-conf work. The issue is the following:

MUST Ipv6-in-Ipv4 tunnel servers, as routers, support NUD-like mechanisms that enables
them to send ICMP destination unreachable messages back to origin ?

The initial feedback received in this respect is that - "yes, they MUST".

As some RFCs previously has been silent about this, e.g. 6to4 - RFC 3056,
and the working group currently is standardising a mechanism which also seems
to be silent about this (Teredo) I would very much like to hear if the above is the
general sentiment of the work group.

To be clear, are you asking about ICMPv4 or ICMPv6 responses?

   Brian

I should be stressed that adding this to the goals of the zero-conf requirements document isn't believed to severely limit the solution space - but it requires implementation of a mechanism which is know to scale very badly and which in addition is susceptible to the DoS attack described in Section 4.3.2 of RFC 3756.

BR, Karen