RE: Unreachability detection at tunnels servers WAS: RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

Hi Brian,

I probably wasn't very clear because I wasn't thinking about
translation of ICMP proto-41 unreachable messages. Let me try to clarify
my question.

A tunnel server, which IPv6-in-IPv4 encapsulates
packets to dual stack end-hosts, acts as a last hop IPv6 router at the
IPv6 level.

Examples of such a server is a Teredo server, and Isatap server as well
as a 6to4 tunnel server (when the server-to-host 6to4 case is supported)

Now a standard last hop IPv6 router on a lan monitors the reachability of its
lan hosts using NUD and notifies of black holes by sending IPv6 destination unreachable
back to origin. (Actually the ICMP is generated when a NUD cache times out and
address resolution cannot be performed anew, but in this context that's a detail.)

My question is:

What are the requirements on tunnel servers in this respect - that is, is it required
that a tunnel server performs IPv6 reachability monitoring comparatively to the above,
meaning something which results in it being able to send IPv6 ICMPs back to origin
when a packet doesn't reach an end-host (at the IPv6 level) ??

Ultimatively that would mean that some IPv6 NUD like mechanism would have to be glued
on top of the tunnelservice.

Given the answer from Jereon about translation of IPv4 ICMP proto-41 -
it could be that the answer to the question is - "NO that is not required. It suffices
that the tunnel server aims to translate all proto-41 unreach IPv4 ICMP's into
IPv6 destination unreachables which are sent back to origin."

This also means that whether black holes are detected or not, relies on the benevolence
of the end-hosts to generate proto-41 unreach ICMPs (and large enough such messages, i.e. messages which includes original Ipv6 header) and not on (stateful) mechanisms implemented
by the tunnel server.

My new question is then  - is the proto-41 translation scheme the general mech
adopted for (and accepted for) this purpose by the WG ?

BR, Karen