Re: Unreachability detection at tunnels servers WAS: RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

Karen,

Thanks for the clarification. One comment below..

Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
Hi Brian,

I probably wasn't very clear because I wasn't thinking about
translation of ICMP proto-41 unreachable messages. Let me try to clarify
my question.

A tunnel server, which IPv6-in-IPv4 encapsulates
packets to dual stack end-hosts, acts as a last hop IPv6 router at the
IPv6 level.

Examples of such a server is a Teredo server, and Isatap server as well
as a 6to4 tunnel server (when the server-to-host 6to4 case is supported)

And that is not described in RFC 3056, so isn't part of standardized 6to4. A 6to4 router, as described in RFC 3056, is like any other IPv6 router as far as NUD and ICMPv6 is concerned - there is nothing special for the 6to4 decapsulator to do in this respect. The router function does what any router does.

A host which claims to support RFC 3056 really needs to behave like
a 6to4 router. To be clear, it acts as its own last hop router.
It's forwarding the decapsulated IPv6 packets to a local IPv6 stack.
If that forwarding action fails it should generate an ICMPv6 unreachable
response. (It's a very bizarre error condition though, and probably can
never happen in reality. Why would there be a 6to4 decapsulator operating,
if there is no local IPv6 stack?)

A 6to4 encapsulator can only detect IPv4 unreachability, which in IPv6
terms is a link failure and should obviously be handled like any other
link failure.

6to4 was designed to be orthogonal to everything else; generic tunnel
servers are different and your questions below certainly apply to them.

   Brian

Now a standard last hop IPv6 router on a lan monitors the reachability of its lan hosts using NUD and notifies of black holes by sending IPv6 destination unreachable back to origin. (Actually the ICMP is generated when a NUD cache times out and address resolution cannot be performed anew, but in this context that's a detail.)

My question is:

What are the requirements on tunnel servers in this respect - that is, is it required
that a tunnel server performs IPv6 reachability monitoring comparatively to the above, meaning something which results in it being able to send IPv6 ICMPs back to origin when a packet doesn't reach an end-host (at the IPv6 level) ??

Ultimatively that would mean that some IPv6 NUD like mechanism would have to be glued
on top of the tunnelservice.

Given the answer from Jereon about translation of IPv4 ICMP proto-41 - it could be that the answer to the question is - "NO that is not required. It suffices
that the tunnel server aims to translate all proto-41 unreach IPv4 ICMP's into
IPv6 destination unreachables which are sent back to origin."

This also means that whether black holes are detected or not, relies on the benevolence
of the end-hosts to generate proto-41 unreach ICMPs (and large enough such messages, i.e. messages which includes original Ipv6 header) and not on (stateful) mechanisms implemented
by the tunnel server.

My new question is then  - is the proto-41 translation scheme the general mech
adopted for (and accepted for) this purpose by the WG ?

BR, Karen