RE: Unreachability detection at tunnels servers WAS: RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

Hi Christian,

> > Now a standard last hop IPv6 router on a lan monitors the
> reachability
> of
> > its lan hosts using NUD and notifies of black holes by sending IPv6
> > destination unreachable
> > back to origin. (Actually the ICMP is generated when a NUD
> cache times
> out
> > and address resolution cannot be performed anew, but in
> this context
> > that's a detail.)
>
> I don't think that in this age of firewalls, any application
> should rely
> on ICMP packets for detecting that a destination is not
> reachable. Most
> firewalls are programmed to silently drop the traffic they
> don't like...

I don't disagree. The problem is with the alternative.

> That being said, Teredo hosts and relays can in fact use the Teredo
> bubble mechanism to verify that their peers are reachable.

Does this mean that Teredo Servers perform (or are meant to perform, i.e. SHOULD - ?)
some kind of RFC 2461 NUD-like reachability
mechanism using the bubble mechanism, when the reachability of end-host
are in question ?
- Or is it rather so that vendors if they like could implement this ?

BR, Karen