RE: Unreachability detection at tunnels servers WAS: RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

Hi Pekka,

Thanks.

> I'm not sure if there was a conclusion/resolution to this thread.

 I am still looking for one...

> As for my personal take -- hopefully I've understood the arguments
> properly..
>
> If you receive IPv4 ICMP error messages relating to an IPv6-in-IPv4
> tunnel, one should probably do something if it's possible, because
> that will be an indication that IPv6 link layer has failed (and that
> particular error can be propagated the same way as any other IPv6 link
> failure, or by direct ICMP message conversion).
>
> What and whether the implementations must treat IPv4 ICMP error
> messages somehow depends on the mechanism in question.
> draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2-06.txt does not mandate it for static MTU
> discovery, but it's obviously required for dynamic MTU discovery.
> 6to4 spec (section 7) doesn't require it either, but seems to imply
> that it can be done.
>
> So, as to the issue whether tunnel servers need to be able to send
> back ICMPv6 error messages if the implementation thinks that the link
> has failed, I'd say "yes, it probably should" because shouldn't all
> IPv6 nodes be supposed to be able to do something like that. The
> issue then is what constitutes good indication for "link failure"
> (e.g., in this case, IPv4 tunneling failing).  Specifying what that
> must or should include is probably mechanism-dependent.

The tunnel servers are in many respects replacing IPv6 access routers,
for which we have explicit requirements in this respect, i.e.,
 SHOULD perform IPv6 NUD.

If I understand you correctly you seem to be saying that not only
is it up for the individual tunnel mechanism to decide how to perform
determination of link-failure (with that, I agree completely)
- but also (?) that it is up to the individual mechanism to determine
what constitutes indication of link failure, and thus consequently,
which kind of link failures that it will seek to monitor and report - !!

I may not disagree with the latter, but if this is the route that
we want to take, I would like it us to do it with our "eyes wide open" so to speak -
saying clearly that in the areas of IPv6 black hole detection, tunnel servers
may not provide a service comparatively with the native IPv6 one.

BR, Karen