Re: Draft on ISP broad-band deployment scenarios

Hello Pekka,

Please see our response below between &&&.

At 09:58 AM 9/22/2004 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier :-(.. inline..

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Adeel Ahmed wrote:
> Please see my responses inline with +++++++++++++++:
>
> At 02:43 PM 9/7/2004 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >Sorry for the delay in responding.. inline...
> >
> >(I've removed some comments which we seemed to agree or be clear
> >about.)

> > > @@@
> > > Pekka, to put this document in perspective, here are some elements of our
> > > original intent:
> > > - focus on production type deployments. We did not intend to discuss
> > tunneling
> > > unless it is the only alternative currently available due to
> > limitations of
> > > a given access
> > > technology (cable).
> >
> >OK, though I'm not sure how certain types of tunneling solutions could
> >not be considered "production" (or sufficiently near that) to be
> >useful on a larger scale. The justification for that is that there
> >may be lots of equipment that is not IPv6-capable, and having to wait
> >for it to be replaced to be able to offer (or get) IPv6 connectivity
> >may be a big assumption for deployment.
>

> +++++++++++++++
> Our goal in this draft is to get SPs to move towards deployment of
> native IPv6. So leading to such deployments tunneling would be a
> stepping stone for the SPs. However, considering that there are
> native deployments today, we wanted to focus more on them rather
> then on the transitional phase in which it might be rather difficult
> for an SP to generate revenue from a tunnel based service till they
> move towards native IPv6 deployments.

There are native deployments today, but AFAIK they have been
relatively small scale (thousands of users).

The crux is whether the ISP wants to (try to) offer service to *all*
of its customers, requiring no hardware upgrades or purchases, with no
assumptions about what the user has deployed -- or just those which
are OK the assumptions, upgrades/purchases, etc.

I'm concerned that if we focus too much on "native only", only
(relatively) few users will likely be able to get the service.

It's true that it may be difficult for an ISP to generate revenue out
of e.g., tunneling based service, offered to anyone, but if some ISP's
are still interested in this kind of approach, would it be worth
considering?

&&&
This is true but we have observed many of the BB ISPs are interested in deploying native IPv6, driven by new services such as VoD using Multicast and etc.  Some of the examples for these BB ISPs, who are deploying IPv6 are NTT in Japan, Spacenet in Germany, Dolphin in Switzerland, Nerim in France, XS4ALL in The Netherlands and etc.

Our intent in this draft is to the make the worldwide BB ISP community aware of possible options available to deploy IPv6 natively today.

We agree that for some ISPs the native IPv6 solution would not be feasible due to several reasons as you mentioned previously, with the information provided in our draft, some ISPs might realize that the extra investment for a native deployment might make sense for their long term goals.  Besides, for some countries this might be a viable option, think of Japan, Korea and some other countries where the ISPs are getting tax cuts from the government, if they deploy IPv6.
&&&

> In the case of Cable (section 5) we had to talk about tunnels due to
> the current limitations in DOCSIS but all the other access
> technologies discussed in the draft are ready for native IPv6
> deployment today.
> +++++++++++++++

The approach depends on the ISP's strategy. If it wants to offer
services to just those which have the right kind of set-up, no
interfering NAT boxes, their own wireless routers, or whatever, that's
fine. But I'm quite concerned about making such assumptions, because
in practice that implies that the deployment gets much more difficult
and demanding (also due to need for financial justifications) for the
users.

> >The question I was asking was whether you intended to analyze the
> >applicability of different methods for getting IPv6 connectivity (in
> >case there would be multiple: for example, where you cite 6to4, there
> >could very likely be others as well, possibly even more suitable than
> >that), or just pick one (or none) and describe how that would work.
> >In other words, I was interested whether you were considering
> >"generic" deployment (with as few assumptions as reasonable, about,
> >e.g., equipment at the customer's premises), or "specific" deployment
> >(where you could or could not assume some things, like being able to
> >upgrade a certain box or having public IPv4 addresses).
> >
> >The document would certainly seem to be most useful if it was
> >sufficiently "generic", but a "specific" document is also better than
> >nothing ;-), provided that the assumptions are very clearly spelled
> >out.
>
> +++++++++++++++
> We've actually tried to be specific in sections 6,7 & 8. We've used
> kind of a generic approach in section 5 due to the current state of
> cable networks and the limitations in DOCSIS. We will try to spell
> out some of the assumptions more clearly in our next revision of the
> draft.
> +++++++++++++++

OK. Please also state clearly the caveats of "native only, if
technologically possible" approach (discussed above, for example).

&&&
Sure. Will do.
&&&

> > specifies to
> > considered
> > >
> > > @@@
> > > Again, it is a case very specific to the current state of Cable
> > > access.
> >
> >Do you mean that cable operators are widely offering a public IP
> >address per customer? However, I'd venture to guess there are a
> >significant number of operators which only give private addresses to
> >begin with.
>
> +++++++++++++++
> Actually that is a common practice with most Cable
> Operators. We've worked with major Cable providers in the America,
> EMEA and APAC regions and they all offer public IP addresses to
> their customers.
> +++++++++++++++

OK, please make this assumption and justification explicit in the
document.

&&&
Sure. Will do.
&&&

> > > Nevertheless we could probably offer more detail for this
> > > case. For example, one solution would be to have the box that is
> > > doing the NAT for the user also terminate the tunnel.
> > >
> > > This is another point that we need to clarify however, the Gateway
> > > Router (GWR) can be SP owned but also it can be customer owned and
> > > in that case it would reflect a customer deployed equipment like a
> > > box that does NAT for v4.
> > > @@@
> >
> >Exactly, this cuts both ways: one approach could be to assume that the
> >NAT box (which may be beyond the control of the SP) is upgraded --
> >this could take quite a long time to achieve. Another approach could
> >be to provide mechanisms which work irrespective of NATs -- there are
> >already a plenty of those, for example Teredo, and some others
> >probably to come (think of "configured tunneling over UDP with
> >keepalives"), in one form or the other.
> >
> >I think what you were assuming that you only need to care about the
> >case of upgrading the NAT box. That may be acceptable with certain
> >assumptions about the deployment (if that's the case, they must be
> >very clearly spelled out), but it may not be sufficient in more
> >general -- so if you agree that one would want to provide v6 access
> >also when there are NATs or other obstacles in the way, one such
> >approach is to specify v6 connectivity mechanissm which work through a
> >NAT.
>
> +++++++++++++++
> That's a good point, we will make a note of that in section 5 where we
> discuss initiating a tunnel from
> the host. Since our goal is to provide IPv6 access natively this should not
> be an issue for other technologies.
> +++++++++++++++

OK.

> > > @@@
> > > These are deployment issues that we could elaborate a bit more on. The
> > > provider usually
> > > is not responsible for the additional equipment added by the customer and
> > > under the
> > > constraints of a service deployment that is limited by the current
> > state of
> > > DOCSIS it is likely that
> > > the provider will have to provide a new device to the subscriber. We will
> > > add a note on this
> > > topic.
> > > @@@
> >
> >This is one approach, as noted at the start of the message; another is
> >providing tunneling support. Both could be feasible, depending on
> >deployment, but the latter is more generic at least.
>
> +++++++++++++++
> Right, so cable operators currently do provide a GWR which is managed by
> them. In order
> to deploy IPv6 the operator can upgrade or replace this GWR with a v6
> capable device.
> +++++++++++++++

Right. But my practical concern is that if it costs the ISP XXX XXX $
to replace the GWR's with ipv6-supporting versions, but XXXX $ (XXX
XXX >> XXXX) to provide tunneling support, I'd guess most ISPs would
be interested in going for tunneling first, and just looking at
replacing GWR's based on their natural EOL schedule.

&&&
You are correct, the first step in some cases will be tunneling (for example cable).

But in other cases BB ISPs are taking the next step and inclined more towards the native deployments

Also the extra cost might be justified by the:

- Services provided and charges ($$ earned) over IPv6 like VoD, video streaming, IPT and etc.
- Tax cuts received by the governments for IPv6 deployments
- and etc.
&&&

> >OK -- I'm just having trouble visualizing any ISP doing so, because
> >that might directly jeopardize their IGP to the customers.. and I'd be
> >interested in hearing why they would be doing something like this (is
> >this some kind of backup routing plan for some SOHO customers or the
> >like or what).
>
> +++++++++++++++
> This is currently a normal practice for Cable Operator's business customers.
> There are only a handful of these customer routes which are summarized and
> redistributed into the Cable Operator's IGP. This is not really meant for
> residential
> customers which account for majority of the customer base.
> +++++++++++++++

But what I don't understand is why the business customers would 1)
need dynamic routing in the first place (what is the actual reason for
using a routing protocol?),

&&&
The cable business customers in todays world get a /27 or something similar.  The issue is how does the CMTS keep track of which business customer owns that particular /27 and how does it get advertised to the rest of the world.  One way to do this is to use static routing but the problem is that if the cable modem goes down, the CMTS will end up black holing that traffic and vise versa, thus requiring an IGP. There are several reasons of using RIPv2, out of which a simple one is that there are hardly any CM/GWR which support OSPF.

Today's cable deployments uses this, so we had to discuss it in the draft to make it close to reality.  The BB ISP will use RIPng as they were using RIPv2. We felt this explanation is out of the scope of this document so we did not include.
&&&

and 2) would want to use something as
"unreliable" (with some definition of unreliable) as Cable, instead of
DSL, Serial, Ethernet.

&&&
Sure, there are pros and cons with every technology.  If you ask me personally, I prefer Cable over DSL :-)
&&&

> > other
> > >
> > > @@@
> > > Could you please clarify this comment?
> > > @@@
> >
> >I meant that wouldn't it be possible to use e.g., Ethernet (instead of
> >ATM) as the point-to-point uplink? I haven't seen this myself, but
> >I've heard reports of such deployments..
>
> +++++++++++++++
> We've discussed this in the FTTH section 7.2.1. So we did not really assume
> that only ATM will be used as a point-to-point uplink.
> +++++++++++++++

But couldn't you provide ADSL (instead of FTTH or Ethernet to the
home) using Ethernet or something like HomePNA on the uplink instead
of ATM?

I don't know enough of the deployments to be able to say whether "ADSL
with Ethernet-like uplink" and "FTTH" are synonymous, but if I had to
venture a guess, I'd say there's probably some difference there.

&&&
Sure. We'll investigate some of the differences.
&&&

> > > @@@
> > > Why would you see it as a bad practice having the router acquire via
> > stateless
> > > autoconfig an address for the uplink to the provider? We should probably
> > > discuss
> > > all options for completeness purposes.
> > > @@@
> >
> >Well, if you have a router, I'd generally expect it to act as a router
> >on all of its interfaces. There has been some debate of this mixed
> >"host/router" behaviour on IPv6 WG list before, but I think the
> >conclusion has been that mixed host/router is acceptable by the specs
> >at least. I'd however personally rather see that the routers in these
> >situations would have other means to configure an address (if they
> >need one).
>
> +++++++++++++++
> We've seen customer interest in using this approach for IPv6 therefore we
> discuss it in the draft.
> Similar approach is also available in IPv4.
> +++++++++++++++

Please state explicitly that this is takes a mixed host/router
approach to ND.

&&&
Sure. Will do.
&&&

> >These arguments should maybe go in the draft, but still keep in mind
> >that MLD/IGMP have not been meant to authenticate the users.
> >
> >I'd expect that the same features can be obtained with encrypted data.
> >You would get the key which would be valid only for some time from a
> >web server, and that key would be only valid for a certain stream.
> >That way you could get the keys etc. only only those parts of the
> >transmission you'd want. There are possibly other approaches. MSEC
> >(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/msec-charter.html) WG has been
> >looking at this problem.
>
> +++++++++++++++
> We do realize that there are multiple ways of doing this but we went with
> MLD authentication approach because we have seen requirements for this
> from customers and it's a rather simple approach.
>
> But we will try to add more explanation in the next revision of the draft.
> +++++++++++++++

Thanks. Justification and listing the caveats is good.

&&&
And thanks for your time and continuos valuable feedback :-)
&&&

Regards,
Salman Asadullah
Technical Leader
Cisco Systems, Inc.

--
Pekka Savola                "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                   kingdom bleeds."