Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

The point I am trying to stress is deprecating this would leave us with no workable
solution for communicating between IPv4 only networks/nodes/apps IPv6 only
networks/nodes/apps. As remote as it might seem for some, that is the use case
scenario we have encountered as the applicability of NAT-PT.

But there is a workable alternative, which is an application level proxy. This too has its disadvantages, of course.

    Brian

Senthil Sivakumar wrote:
I see that the draft has consolidated all the previous drafts that highlighted the issues
of NAT-PT and DNS ALG, which is a good thing. However, most of the issues mentioned
here as NAT-PT issues are known issues with address translation (NAT) itself, so
attributing them to NAT-PT is not correct. Those should be categorized as generic address
translation issues.

Some specfic comments on the following issues.

     *  Disruption of all protocols which embed IP addresses (and/or
         ports) in packet payloads or which apply integrity mechanisms
         using IP addresses (and ports). (not NAT-PT specific).

      *  Requirement for applications to use keep alive mechanisms to
         workaround connectivity issues caused by premature NAT-PT state
         timeout. (not NAT-PT specific).

       *  Inability to redirect packet fragments after the first with
         NAPT-PT. (not NAT-PT specific).

o Issues which are exacerbated by the use of a DNS-ALG:
* Constraints on network topology. (not NAT-PT specific).
* Scalability concerns together with introduction of single point
of failure and security attack nexus.(not NAT-PT specific).
* Lack of address mapping persistence: Some applications require
address retention between sessions. The user traffic will be
disrupted if a different mapping is used. The use of the
DNS-ALG to create address mappings with limited lifetimes means
that applications must start using the address shortly after
the mapping is created, as well as keeping it alive once they
start using it.(not NAT-PT specific).
* Creation of a DOS threat relating to exhaustion of memory and
address/port pool resources on the translator.(not NAT-PT specific).

Regarding the conclusion, I don't agree with the fact that only applicable scenario
is in 3G networks. During the past couple of years of my experience I have seen
customers using it between isolated IPv6 networks to talk to existing IPv4 networks.
A lot of cases it is not about the nodes being dual stack or not, it is the network
that is not dual stacked for operational reasons.

I have been gathering some inputs from the customers who are using NAT-PT currently
regarding this draft. I can consolidate and forward the comments if you are interested in
knowing and understanding why they think they are moving forward with NAT-PT.

The point I am trying to stress is deprecating this would leave us with no workable
solution for communicating between IPv4 only networks/nodes/apps IPv6 only
networks/nodes/apps. As remote as it might seem for some, that is the use case
scenario we have encountered as the applicability of NAT-PT.

Senthil