Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 03:09:31PM +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> >The point I am trying to stress is deprecating this would leave us with no
> >workable
> >solution for communicating between IPv4 only networks/nodes/apps IPv6 only
> >networks/nodes/apps. As remote as it might seem for some, that is the use
> >case
> >scenario we have encountered as the applicability of NAT-PT.
>
> But there is a workable alternative, which is an application level proxy.
> This too has its disadvantages, of course.

I agree with Brian.

Our experience is that translation is only needed for "legacy" apps.  The
large majority of such legacy apps have a ALG capability (web, mail, news,
ftp, sip, ...).

There are also TCP-relays...

What is the specific application scenario that you have?

Tim