RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Liu Min wrote:
> As far as I know, there will be a specific project to research and develop
> high performance IPv4/IPv6 translation gateway in CNGI. Because there are
> fewer IPv6 applications and resources than IPv4 in the current Internet, it
> is difficult to persuade people to use IPv6.Most IPv6 users want to access
> IPv4 resources. In order to spread IPv6, we must tell the users that they
> can access all IPv4 resources. In addition, they can do what they can not do
> by IPv4, such as p2p applications (Many people only have private IPv4
> addresses).

What I don't understand in your comment is why you implicitly assume
that the IPv6 users would not have IPv4 access at all, and therefore
their IPv6 access must be able to react all the IPv4 services.

AFAICS, there is nothing stopping from deploying IPv4 w/ private
addresses alongside with IPv6, and IPv6 could even be used dominantly
in the network (if that's felt to be desirable for a political
reasons, or to gain experience) if the typically used services such as
HTTP, SMTP, DNS, etc. could be proxied by ALGs at the border.