RE: DHCP issue in draft-palet-v6ops-solution-tun-auto-disc-01.txt

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Soohong Daniel Park wrote:
I'm not considering DHCP at all. May be need to be further
clarified. Is one more option, but more related, in my opinion,
to very controlled networks where you are sure that DHCP
options are relayed. We can even delete this section if it
creates confusion.

*controlled networks* is also important domain for adopting IPv6 widely, especially enterprise network is entirely controlled by network administrator. Also enabling DHCP is quite normal, cheap and a widely deployed scenario. This solution works very well within our enterprise network.

I've no doubt it works within an enterprise network, but because it does not work under all the major scenarios (for example, over dial-ups, ADSLs, over VPN or v6-in-[udp]v4 tunnels, etc. where you don't run DHCP, and not necessarilily even PPP), the real question is: "is DHCP a sufficiently convincing method in a subset of all scenarios for configuration of the tunnel endpoint?"

DNS works under every scenario. DHCP provides a slightly more customization per client but I'm sceptical whether this is an actual necessity.