RE: draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00.txt

Stranger ...!(

> Hi,
> The reasons an operator may make use of IP address to account mapping
> at a service is to:
> - provide automatic sign-on to a service (-it would be annoying to
> have to insert username/password on a handset everytime you
> use WAP or MMS)
> - determine from the IP address something about the users settings (-
> for example, have they requested Location Based Services to be turned
> off)
> - event based PUSH (-for example, a messaging server looks up user
> account, obtains IP address and pushes email to terminal)
>
> If we cannot assume any significance about the IPv6 address then these
> functions must be achieved at a different layer. At the moment in
> IPv4, there exists a consistent way of determining User ID from IP
> address.

With private IPv6 addresses being generated by the UE in the IPv6 domain there will be
no direct way to correlate IPv6 addresses with a User ID - that's why for example
an IMS registration must be performed anew when the UE generates a new address.

> Sure, these solutions only exist in the operator networks (and
> directly connected 3rd Party) but this is still important. The IP
> address has a lot of significance within the internal network of the
> operator. And I mean just the Gi network, forget all the others. With
> regard transition methods, these play a significant part in the large
> international operator's network, when you consider these are actually
> a number of disjoint national operators' access-networks trying to
> access common services.
>
> It would be neat to continue the identity in the v6 domain. The
> solution would just need to be deterministic. I purposely didn't want
> to look at the solutions, and stick to goals, but we may think about:
> 1) a second IPv6 RADIUS/DHCP server for DHCP to tunnels which is
> interrogated in the IPv6 domain (is this against the zero
> config goals?); or
> 2) use a PREFIX function (c.f. NAT-PT 96bit PREFIX) where IPv4 address
> at source (and in the RADIUS DB) can be determined from the incoming
> IPv6 address (perhaps security/fraud issues?)
>
> Again, if this is not going to feature in this draft, can we
> state this.

Yes.

What you suggest above to me sounds very much like tunnel server
registration - at least if you are speaking about service registration only,
I may not understand how DHCP comes into play

> Note on standards - I cannot see the 3GPP standardising the Gi in
> anyway. However barring IMS this is where all the IP Services reside.
> So IMHO I think the standards will not have all the answers, and
> looking at what happens in practice is beneficial. But Is the
> motivation for this draft IMS alone? I interpret "3GPP" to
> mean this draft is applicable to mobile operator services generally,
> not IMS alone.

Personally, my motivation has been driven by the termed (at least) Ipv6 only IMS services
(or Ipv6-only IMS operator networks) and the explicit need for a transition solution for these,
but that's not to say that this should be the only need taken care of by zeroconf tunnelling.

BR, Karen