Re: A personal take on WG's priorities..

Hi Pekka,

In general good proposal. I will like to suggest some changes, see below,
already prioritized following the criteria that I think is required, and
simplified a little bit.

Regards,
Jordi

Group 1
> The most important work
> - finish enterprise analysis
> - finish requirement(s) for tunneling
>    * to be able to decide whether existing solution(s) are sufficient
>      and if not, get started on specifying new ones
> - get started on mechanisms (somewhere else?) if needed/necessary

I will say that is not good that a new WG should take care of new mechanisms
(if they are required). This will slow down the process too much (minimum 6
months), and it not clear that we can't do that with the current charter, or
even a small modification of it.

Also, I think this
> - draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc
belongs to what I called Group 1, and is ready to be closed. Otherwise will
be good the received inputs, objections or whatever !

Group 2
> Pretty darn important work
> - the last spin at 3GPP analysis doc, updated IMS scenario
> - better document the ISP's broadband transition scenarios
>    * draft-asadullah-v6ops-bb-deployment-scenarios-01
> - finish draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2
>    * waiting for feedback from the IESG telechat..
> - adopt and finish draft-tschofenig-v6ops-secure-tunnels-02.txt
>    * IESG requirement for draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2
> - figure what to do about the NAT-PT deprecation/analysis
>   *  draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate
> - (techno-political) document for v4 NAT users
>   * draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap
> - IPv6-on-by-default work, fixes need to be integrated in the IETF work
>   * draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption
>   * draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault
>   * etc.
I think
> - draft-palet-v6ops-solution-tun-auto-disc
belongs to this group, and is 80% ready. Is very useful for the zeroconfig,
assisted tunneling, etc.

Group 3
> Important work
> - draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure
>   * needs revision to address IESG comments
> - draft-chown-v6ops-vlan-usage
> - figuring out how to deal with Mobile IP transition issues
> - security overview of IPv6
>    * draft-savola-v6ops-security-overview

Group 4
> Useful work
> - revising 6to4 spec to be clearer, etc.
> - draft-chown-v6ops-renumber-thinkabout-00
> - draft-chown-v6ops-port-scanning-implications

Group 5
> Difficult to say whether it has gained sufficient momentum, and/or
> whether this is the right place to do this
> - draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans
> - draft-palet-v6ops-ipv6security
> - draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps
> - draft-kondo-quarantine-overview-01.txt

I'm tempted to move all this to the Group 2 or 3, together with the
security-overview. If this work needs to specify new protocols, then I might
consider another WG (existing probably, not necessarily a new one), but I
believe it can be approached with existing protocols within IETF.
I consider security an extremely important issue for the deployment of IPv6,
as an operational issue that falls clearly in the scope of our charter.

By the way, I don't think is a question of momentum, is a question of people
reviewing, and we all know that the problem is the same with other very
important documents, which at the end pass by "no objection" despite Jim
observations ! Let's be honest with ourselves, please ! I think is very
stupid to try to convince ourselves about what is so evident. And yes is my
own fault also, I will like to do more work review more documents, but
specially the last 3-4 months has been almost impossible. Now I've plenty of
time during Xmas and will do much more.

Group 6
> Not sure whether it should be published as RFC, or is sufficiently relevant
> - draft-chown-v6ops-campus-transition
> - draft-morelli-v6ops-ipv6-ix

Not sure either, but I will say is part of the scenarios documents.

My conclusion is that we will have probably only 3 groups instead of 6,
which can proceed almost in parallel, even if takes a few extra months
(3-6), because that will be the same delay it will take creating a new WG,
or even outsourcing to existing ones.

Missing items, other future candidate work which fall in the actual charter
? Work that is very close related and requires a charter modification to be
approached here, if its the best place to be done ?

Views from the rest of the WG, please ?

Regards,
Jordi

Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit