Re: endpoint discovery from reverse DNS [Re: other comments on dr aft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00. txt

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Alain Durand wrote:
But how many of these cases are such that a DNS search-path based approach would not be suitable (due to the requirement to have more control on which tunnel endpoints each are selected by which node, as pointed out by Alain)?

Any large network that spans different locations and uses potentially multiple domains. This is true for large enterprise networks, but also at home if the user decided to have its own local domain advertized through DHCP. For example, at home, my local DHCP server is configured to send a search path as "sun.com" and "mylocaldomain.example.com", but not "myISP.example.com"

I do not see this as a problem one way or the other. If the user is knowledgeable to configure his/her is own DNS zone (w/ DNS server etc.), he's likely knowledgeable to manually configure the discovery process to look for protocol.myisp.com instead.

More likely than not, most if not all of those users already have v6 acces ;-)

On the other hand, please remember that reverse DNS based configuration will likely need similar manual configuration as well.

To paraphase what Rob Austien once said about automatic completion using domain search list, when you do not know what the question you ask is, don't be surprised if you don't find the answer.

Certainly. The mechanism doesn't need to be perfect, especially for power users; it just needs to be good enough, and robust enough especially for those who are not sufficiently technically knowledgeable to do custom configuration.

In other words, you should never believe that is advertized as your domain name is relevant to figure out where you are physically on the network.

Disagree. By default it would appear to be relevant, but there are cases (especially when there has been manual configuration by a knowledgeable user) where this does not hold. I've the assumption that we may not need to be all that worried about those particular scenarios.

But this kind of assumption needs to be spelled out.