Re: ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:42:14AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> An operator which has deployed bridged-mode DSL ('RBE') said that the
> only solution for providing bulk v6 access at the moment is requiring
> the use of DHCPv6 for address assignment (i.e.: because DHCPv4 is
> snooped for v4, the vendors seem to have implemented the same kind of
> snooping for v6 w/ DHCPv6).
[..]
>  4) putting all the customers' v6 prefix information in a RADIUS or
> similar database, so that the advertisement information could be
> digged up from there.  A lot of work, and does not work automatically.
> This would also need some glue between bulk config and RADIUS.

How are people envisioning "bulk access with IPv6" anyway?

I'm wondering specifically about the nature of the IPv6 allocations
- are "operators" planning to do dynamic IPv6 allocations (today you get
a dynamic IPv4 /32, in the future you get a dynamic IPv6 /64)?

Or are people planning to assign static /48s?

We do the latter, so we need to couple RADIUS and IP(v4/v6) address
management anyway - no big difference here for IPv6 access.

OTOH, we have no "bulk access with RBE" anyway.   Bulk DSL is done with
PPPoE/L2TP, which works fine (on Cisco) with IPv6 address pools for
assignment, or static assignments coming from radius.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  66629  (65398)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299