Re: ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access

Hello Gert,

Please see comments/answers in line ...

At 03:36 PM 11/18/2004 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:42:14AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> An operator which has deployed bridged-mode DSL ('RBE') said that the
> only solution for providing bulk v6 access at the moment is requiring
> the use of DHCPv6 for address assignment (i.e.: because DHCPv4 is
> snooped for v4, the vendors seem to have implemented the same kind of
> snooping for v6 w/ DHCPv6).
[..]
>  4) putting all the customers' v6 prefix information in a RADIUS or
> similar database, so that the advertisement information could be
> digged up from there.  A lot of work, and does not work automatically.
> This would also need some glue between bulk config and RADIUS.

How are people envisioning "bulk access with IPv6" anyway?

Do you mean wholesale model where the NAP doesn't handle addressing?

I'm wondering specifically about the nature of the IPv6 allocations
- are "operators" planning to do dynamic IPv6 allocations (today you get
a dynamic IPv4 /32, in the future you get a dynamic IPv6 /64)?

Or are people planning to assign static /48s?

In these broadband deployments there is an IPv6 prefix on the link/virtual-link to each customer. The address allocation in some of these deployments is done in two ways:
1) The /64 is assigned to the link/virtual-link between the access router and the customer. The customer then uses autoconfig for its hosts that are all on the same network.
2) There is a /64 assigned to the link/virtual-link between the access router and the customer but DHCP-PD is used to provide the Customer Premises Router with a /48 that it is then used to automatically configure all the interfaces of that customer router with /64s. The hosts behind the customer router use autoconfig.

We do the latter, so we need to couple RADIUS and IP(v4/v6) address
management anyway - no big difference here for IPv6 access.

OTOH, we have no "bulk access with RBE" anyway.   Bulk DSL is done with
PPPoE/L2TP, which works fine (on Cisco) with IPv6 address pools for
assignment, or static assignments coming from radius.

True, with RBE the NAP becomes responsible of address management etc and that is different then the typical wholesale model however, people are will to change that in exchange of benefits that they get from IP control close to the end customer (the multicast service We talk about in our draft). The NAP doesn't have to become an ISP for this.

Of course, the PPPoE/L2TP option discussed in the draft is also available if one wants to maintain the v4 deployment models.

Thank you!
Chip

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  66629  (65398)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299