Re: ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access

Hi Gert,

At 09:39 AM 11/23/2004 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 02:30:04PM -0500, Ciprian Popoviciu wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 11/18/2004 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> >>  4) putting all the customers' v6 prefix information in a RADIUS or
> >> similar database, so that the advertisement information could be
> >> digged up from there.  A lot of work, and does not work automatically.
> >> This would also need some glue between bulk config and RADIUS.
> >
> >How are people envisioning "bulk access with IPv6" anyway?
> Do you mean wholesale model where the NAP doesn't handle addressing?

Actually, the question "will the NAP handle addressing" is part of the
question - it's the distinction between "users get statically assigned
IPv6 networks" and "users get dynamically assigned /64s" (or similar).

All deployments that I have seen rolled out or being planned assigned the same prefix to a given customer every time it is coming on line.

[..]
> In these broadband deployments there is an IPv6 prefix on the
> link/virtual-link to each customer. The address allocation in some of these
> deployments is done in two ways:
> 1) The /64 is assigned to the link/virtual-link between the access router
> and the customer. The customer then uses autoconfig for its hosts that are
> all on the same network.
> 2) There is a /64 assigned to the link/virtual-link between the access
> router and the customer but DHCP-PD is used to provide the Customer
> Premises Router with a /48 that it is then used to automatically configure
> all the interfaces of that customer router with /64s. The hosts behind the
> customer router use autoconfig.

Ummm, well.  This is the technical answer (which is important to see
written down), but fails to answer the thing that I'm mostly curious
about - dynamic vs. static assignments.

I assume that you're working with Cisco customers that do some initial
IPv6 broadband deployments, so maybe you can explain how those are
currently doing the address distribution (or what the plans are)?

The two options listed above are used in operational deployments. In the first case it is clear that the address is statically assigned. In the second case it should be mentioned that typically, the same prefix is assigned via DHCP-PD to the user every time it comes on line.

Regards,
Chip

[..]
> >OTOH, we have no "bulk access with RBE" anyway. Bulk DSL is done with
> >PPPoE/L2TP, which works fine (on Cisco) with IPv6 address pools for
> >assignment, or static assignments coming from radius.
>
> True, with RBE the NAP becomes responsible of address management etc and
> that is different then the typical wholesale model however, people are will
> to change that in exchange of benefits that they get from IP control close
> to the end customer (the multicast service We talk about in our draft). The
> NAP doesn't have to become an ISP for this.

Good point.  This would certainly change the way bulk DSL access is done
over here "as of today".

thanks,

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  66629  (65398)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299