Re: Take VLAN usage as WG document?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:22:21AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:

> The author has asked if the document describing usage of VLANs
> for IPv6 deployed could be taken as a WG document:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-vlan-usage-02.txt
>
> This is in the charter, and useful as an Informational document.
>
> Please say what you think.  Silence DOES NOT indicate consent.  If new
> work items are to be adopted, there must be active support for doing
> it, and there must be people willing to review and work on the draft.

I just read the document. While the general approach is more or less
obvious once you think about the problem space (done this exercise
about a year ago), this document has the potential to clearly
document the benefits and pitfalls so that others have less to
think about and are likely getting a reasonable setup.

What I like to see is more discussion of the trade-offs between the
alternatives that do exist.  One specific item which I think needs
more consideration is the IPv6 addressing plan. My experience was
that working out an addressing plan is actually more controversial
and time consuming than getting an IPv6 router hocked up into the
network. So a more complete list of the various approaches for
addressing plans together with their advantages and disadvantages
would be much appreciated and add real value to the document.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany