Re: draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-03.txt

I have a higher-level concern about Teredo than I have seen discussed
here. Up to now, I have been approaching these discussions from a
theoretical standpoint, but now I have some operational experience.

Let's suppose Teredo is published as a standard, and companies start
building the Teredo client, server, and host-specific relay functions into
their products. Lets also suppose that unsuspecting users beging deploying
those products behind vanilla NATs that allow the Teredo UDPs through.

Now, suppose some evil vendor (perhaps controlled in some way by a
terrorist organization) were to build some sort of function into a product
(e.g., a cell phone, a pacemaker, etc.) that allowed the product to "call home"
to the vendor or - even worse - allowed the vendor to call out to its deployed
devices and take control of them without the owner's explicit consent.
This seems like a recipe for global destruction by terrorist organizations -
"Automatic Sunset" indeed! Could "teredo" possibly be more aptly named?

People and assets need protection. Small groups are necessary for integrity,
accountability, and information sharing. Privacy still needs to be supported and
respected, but not to the extent that it allows corruption and perversion to flourish
without the caring safeguards of local groups of interest, e.g., communities, schools,
churches, synagogues, temples, mosques, etc. etc. (Too much privacy is
what gave us crimes against society like the 9/11 disaster, the Unabomber,
etc.)

The answer is in small groups. Not perfect groups, but groups that are
accountable for the actions of individual members. Groups that can respect
the individuals' privacy, but also provide a central base for healing if any of
them embers goes astray. Surely there must be a way to make this work
out - and the way has to involve close cooperatrion with a numbre or
technologies - not just Teredo alone.

Fred L. Templin
cktflt@pacbell.net