From david.kessens@nokia.com Thu Dec 16 17:43:31 2004
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:43:31 -0800
From: David Kessens <david.kessens@nokia.com>
To: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Feedback on proposed charter from the IESG

The IESG discussed the proposed recharter for v6ops.

I did not ask the IESG for approval yet since I felt that
the charter still needs a bit more review from the community and the
upcoming holidays is a suboptimal period for community review (I will
be out of the office myself for example).

The feedback that I received so far (and that I agree with) is the
following:

The charter is still a bit open ended. What is really missing is good
criteria on how to make decisions on documents that will be accepted
and which will not.

For example, the list of proposed milestones is rather extensive and
we were not entirely convinced that every single document on the list
really needs to be worked on in the v6ops working group.

As is not uncommon in the Operations Area, this working group will
have some topics in the charter that will be somewhat open ended.
However, that doesn't mean that we should take on any work that has
remotely something to do with the operational aspects of running an
ipv6 Internet network.

Questions that come to my mind that are important to ask are:

Is there really an audience that needs a particular document (eg. not
just a very specific audience but a broad group of users)? Is there
expertise in the working group to work on the topic (eg. more than
just a few people should have a good understanding) ? Did the people
that express willingness to work on a topic actually read the proposed
internet draft ? Are there more than a few people willing to
contribute, and an even larger group to review the document ?

I hope that this helps to guide the discussion to get a solid new
charter in place.

David Kessens
---