Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt]

Jonne
<snip>
If so then it is you that are saving the IP addresses not the carrier (this
is why we have many diffrent catagories in section 5).
As to the security concerns, where I have seen this done the carriers are
usually using NAT to subnet their network (as described in 5.4) so that they
have one large block and are using it to reduce problems in their
administration network. But you are right to you there is still no security
benifit.

Actually, I don't have NAT in my network. The setup is strange, because there is this interesting thing going on: My IP access is provided by a company that provides me access (with a VPN) to my company. However, to get access to Internet I need a second provider. There are multiple providers I can choose from and I have a contract with one of them. To access the Internet I have to "activate" the access, by first choosing my provider from a web menu and then giving the credentials (username, password). After that I have Internet access. However, as by the time I boot my computer it is not known which provider's access I'm going to use they cannot give me the real IP addresses. When I then activate the Internet access they would have to renumber my computer's IP address it is easier to NAT. I actually can connect up to five computers to the Internet and really all private addresses seem to correspond to an individual public address...

This is an interesting configuration, I have seen 2 diffrent implementation models for what you describe and I am courious which your provider is using:
1. Access provider provides actual real IP address and then acts as a pass through to the ISP via the login dashboard.
2. Access provider continues to use NAT address and sets up VPN to ISP after the login dashboard, and you get a real IP address from the ISP.

Have you looked to see which model you have?

Thanks for the feedback,

Eric Klein
TTI Telecom