RE: draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt - "maybe add a bit more on proxy servers ..."

Mark;

I think we've covered the waterfront on this issue.  I think we basically
have
differing views on how much "operational, practical, market-reality" issues
should be covered by IETF documents, and how "true to the vision of the
protocol" the documents should remain.

I think a great outcome for the NAP draft would be to eliminate NAT, and
any perception that NAT was something organizations should *want* to
deploy - as opposed to something they may have *had* to deploy in the
IPv4 world.  If maintaining some state in the network for the foreseeable
future - stateful firewalls and application proxies - helps advance that
cause
I think it is a terrific tradeoff.

I'm happy to leave it to the authors to decide how much weight proxy servers
get as part of the operational security model (if any), and how much text
is devoted to it in their document.

Good discussion.

Spence