RE: draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt - "maybe add a bit more on proxy servers ..."

> > address	    time-of-day          week-day    bandwidth-alloc
> > IPv6-addr-X     9:00AM - 3:00PM      M,W,TH,F    X-kbps
> >
> > would be difficult to enforce if IPv6-addr-X either
> constantly remaps
> > to a different node, or if the node constantly replaces IPv6-addr-X
> > with something else.
> >

> The key term here is identification. When you identify using
> a network layer address, you aren't really identifying a
> person, you are identifying a node,

    No disagreement here at all WRT to node vs. user identification
    and the corresponding level of policy application and enforcement.
    One important differentiator between a proxy and a firewall is
    in proxy's ability to define higher level rules and enforce those
    rules.

    The point of the discussion, however, was that there may exist
    situations where a network administrator may want to write
    a policy based on a node id instead of a policy based on individual
    users. For example, a large corporation may have designated nodes
    on designated subnets for access by contractors and interns. The
    egress proxy may contain such policies. I also don't want to assume
    the various network topologies in which the proxies are deployed and

    the types of policy rules that make sense in those different
topologies.

    The discussions carried in the NAP draft document on the addresses
    and mechanisms on hiding networks, IMHO, impact the deployment and
    operations of proxies that are becoming ever more popular in
enterprise
    environments. Therefore, I feel the doc should address the proxy
    space.

    -- Qing