Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt <PROXIES>

Hi Eric,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:11:51 +0200
"EricLKlein" <ericlklein@softhome.net> wrote:

> just prior to this being published as draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00 there was some
> WG discussion about adding proxies to raft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.
>
> > Are there strong feelings about adding this section? If so I will start to
> draft some text  based on the comments from the WG that will be aimed at
> inclusion in the -01 version and will submit them to the list.

I personally would prefer not to see a section on proxies.

In the prior discussion, proxies were being advocated as another topology
hiding method, potentially useful in IPv6.

I don't think they are that useful for that function, as they only
support topology hiding for the protocols they support. For example, a
HTTP proxy will only hide the identity of devices making HTTP requests
through the proxy. Assuming those same devices have public addresses,
they will still be vulnerable to any other topology discovery techniques
that don't specifically involve HTTP.

NAT is a better topology hiding method than proxies, and, of course, this
Draft is saying NAT isn't necessary in IPv6 for that either.

Regards,
Mark.

--

    The Internet's nature is peer to peer.