Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt <PROXIES>

On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:01 AM, John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP wrote:

I do believe the most compelling arguments supporting the elimination of NAT
in the IPv6 architecture need a discussion of what you can achieve - and
what you give up - if you deploy proxies.

Speaking for myself, I very much agree. The big marketing thing for IPv6 is the end to end architecture. What ULAs do is summarily discard that, and what proxies do when so configured is what NATs do automatically.

Think about it this way. Right now, with IPv4, someone that wants to implement wireless in their home buys a Linksys box at the store, screws it to the wall, and applies power. Job done. With IPv6, they will be able to do the same thing some day in the future when ISPs distribute a /64 to each house via DHCP and when Linksys sees enough market to put IPv6 into the system. Until then, you can manually configure a ULA and a proxy.

Given the options, what does T.C. Mits install in his house? I submit that he installs IPv4 and a NAT. It is easier and gets him what he thought he was buying.

If we think ULAs are going to commonly *replace* end to end addressing, that is something that somebody needs to analyze, and since that is yet another variation on a NAT, it seems like it should go here.