Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts

Hi Alain,

I see the pattern ... But I don't think we actually tried to look into a
single solution, and that may be why we haven't moved forward.

By the way, I don't agree that the approach on a single solution for wired
and wireless isn't the best approach. The point is that it may be or not,
depending on the actual solution ;-)

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Alain Durand <alain@tycool.net>
> Responder a: <owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Fecha: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:08:08 -0700
> Para: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
> CC: Lindqvist Erik Kurt <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>, David Kessens
> <david.kessens@nokia.com>, "v6ops@ops.ietf.org" <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts
>

> On Apr 5, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
>>
>> In taking over the working group, Kurt and I basically were presented
>> with the following scenario:
>>  - this group is for operational questions (not protocols)
>>  - this group seeks to conform to RFC 1958 (we are not here to bless
>> very lame solution that comes along)
>>  - transition mechanisms are generally out of scope.
>>
>> As I understand it, v6tc (which was intended to take over all the
>> tunneling stuff, which is to say a large proposition of the transition
>> stuff) is dead in the water. The expectation was that all the
>> tunneling/transition stuff would move there, but the BOF was a
>> non-event. There isn't likely to be a v6tc WG. (Dear AD: if you
>> disagree, this would be a good time to say so).
>
> Is TC going to be chartered or not, I do not know yet, we are still
> talking about that.
> That said, as Pekka mentioned, TC was never meant to pick up all the
> left-overs
> from the NGtrans days that were not adopted by v6Ops, it was meant to
> be a very
> focused wg.
>
> I'll send later the minutes of the meeting, but what I got (and all the
> people I talk to after
> shared the same feeling) is that:
> - We are very late in the game, folks have started to deploy their own
> ad-hoc solutions,
>    if we do anything, time to market will be critical
> - What is being deployed is either not documented or not standardized
> (i.e. not been through
>    community review)
> - The focus on latency was to try to get a common solution that will
> fit the wired and wireless case,
>     it seems that this may not be the best approach.
>

>> Which brings me to my question. I am being asked by various proponents
>> of various things what the working group wants to do with their
>> approach. I need to know what the game plan for this working group is:
>> let a thousand flowers bloom (they can all ask for informational
>> status from the RFC Editor and the probability that the transition
>> will happen in an orderly fashion rapidly approaches zero), or I need
>> a consensus statement from the working group that every single
>> approach on the table will be set aside and the working group will
>> actively work on providing a single solution that meets all those
>> needs that the IETF can look at and say "yes, that will accomplish an
>> orderly transition in a timely fashion and
>> *I*will*support*that*in*favor*of*all*others".
>
> let's get into the time machine...
>
> Spring 1999. Grenoble IPng & NGtrans interim meeting.
> [...]

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Registration open. Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com