RE: Please comment on new draft: draft-ietf-v6ops-security-overview-00.txt

Hi Mark,

I would like to add some comments over your comments... See below:

> Hi Elwyn,
>
> I'm reading through it the first time, it looks good.
>
> My $0.02 below.
>
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:35:14 +0100
> Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Please let us have any comments asap - we intend to produce another
> > new version incorporating any comments prior to IETF-63.
> >

> 2.1.11  Link-Local Addresses and Securing Neighbor Discovery
>
> "Because the link-local address can, by default, be acquired without
>    external intervention or control, it allows an attacker to commence
>    communication on the link without needing to acquire information
>    about the address prefixes in use or communicate with any
> authorities
>    on the link.  This feature gives a malicious node the
> opportunity to
>    mount an attack on any other node which is attached to this link;
>    this vulnerability exists in addition to possible direct attacks on
>    NDP."
>
> I think there is also a "non-malicious" use of link local
> addresses in the above scenario, in particular on wireless
> links, namely using the available link bandwidth to
> communicate between one or more "non-link authorised" nodes,
> rather than maliciously attacking "link-authorised"
> nodes. That is eluded to in the earlier part of the
> paragraph, possibly an explicit mention of this type of
> bandwidth theft could be useful.

This is an interesting idea and IMO not restricted to wireless links. I
think the general idea is that link-local addresses allows communication
among hosts within a LAN and no access control could be done. For example in
a layer two infrastructure within a building two hosts could communicate
among them.

> 2.3.2  Enterprise Network Security Model for IPv6
>
> "   o  Development of centralized security policy repositories and
>       distribution mechanisms which, in conjunction with
> trusted hosts,
>       will allow network managers to place more reliance on security
>       mechanisms at the end points and allow end points to
> influence the
>       behavior of perimeter firewalls."
>
> My comment is probably a bit minor. The text is abstract
> about the security mechanisms on the end-points, yet is
> specific about the idea of allowing the end points to
> influence the perimeter firewalls. I'd like to suggest either
> being a bit more specific about end point security mechanisms
> (ie. explicit "end-node firewalling"), or be a bit more
> abstract about perimeter security mechanisms. It seems to me
> that the above paragraph is somewhat implying that the idea
> of perimeter firewalls is mostly agreed upon, yet I think
> that once the end points implement firewall type security
> themselves, with a policy distribution mechanism, perimeter
> firewalls would possibly be unnecessary. This end-node
> firewalling only security model would contradict the "and
> allow end points to influence the behavior of perimeter
> firewalls" text above.
> Possibly the "and" could be changed to an "or" ? Again, this
> point is probably minor.

I would suggest not to just think on end-node firewalling but in a more
complex "security tool" which will enforce the security policy distributed.
I could think in firewalling+IDS+anti-virus+anti-spam+....

Regards,
Alvaro Vives
Consulintel

> B.1  Exposing MAC Addresses
>
> "The MAC address, which with stateless address autoconfiguration,
>    results in an EUI64, exposes the model of network card.
> The concern
>    has been that a user might not want to expose the details of the
>    system to outsiders, e.g., in the fear of a resulting
> burglary (e.g.,
>    if a crook identifies expensive equipment from the MAC addresses)."
>
> I've understood the more significant issue that exposing MAC
> addresses created wasn't being able to remotely identify the
> model/manufacturer of devices, but rather, that as EUI64s
> were derived from commonly world-wide unique EUI48s, the node
> address became a mechanism to allow tracking the access
> patterns of nodes, and therefore typically an individual
> person, no matter what their attachment point to the
> network/Internet, and how often they change it (therefore
> aquiring a new
> /64 prefix). "B.3 Exposing the Site by a Stable Prefix"
> mentions this privacy concern, although it seems to be
> constricting the privacy concern to a site, which I think
> tends to imply that if the node leaves the site, this issue
> disappears, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
>
> That's it for the moment.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Registration open. Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com