Re: WGLC ent-analysis-03: DSTM

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:37:18PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Tim Chown wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:34:39AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >>I don't think the purpose of any v6ops document is solve problems in
> >>one's *v4* network by *v4* mechanisms, so it's not entirely clear if
> >>the mechanism is in the scope of this WG.
> >
> >If you deplay a v6-only network infrastructure then v4 transport is a 'v6
> >problem'.   I guess he crux of your argument is
> >a) why not run dual stack, even with v4+NAT
> >b) why can't apps be updated to use IPv6
>
> Depends on what you mean by 'dual stack'.

Sorry, I meant 'on the wire'.  To agree that something 'DSTM-like' is
going to be necessary, we have to assume and agree that IPv6-only
infrastructures will be deployed where some nodes have to use IPv4
communications.   I think we agree on that.

> For this particular thread, I think my main arguments are:
>
>  - if you want to run v6-only network but dual-stack hosts, that's
> fine, you can run stuff in v4-in-v6 tunnels -- for example, scenario
> a) or b.1) from the list below.

So far so good :)

> HOWEVER, I don't see why you [in
> practical scenarios] need mechanisms to give (very) temporary global
> v4 addresses on the nodes, and then take them away (e.g., c) or d)
> from the list below).  You can just deploy private v4 addresses if you
> have address shortage, or use more stable v4 global addresses.

Well, there is a tradeoff.  You could run IPv4+NAT on all the nodes that
need IPv4.   If you have enough IPv4 global addresses you could run stable
permanent addresses on all those nodes.  Either of these could/should use
tunnel setup and address allocation mechanisms that could also be used
by something 'DSTM-like'.

But if you have limited IPv4 global addresses, and would like to avoid NAT,
then some form of dynamic, short-term addressing is desirable.  I guess the
question then is how realistic a scenario is that?

>  - the mechanisms which go beyond DHCPv4-like functions for address
> assignment on v4-in-v6 tunnels do not have any bits-on-the-wire
> interoperability requirements, and thus do not require
> standardization.  Such mechanisms can also be brittle and very
> implementation-specific, and I'd be hesitant to even try to encourage
> them.

Agreed, whether the protocol is used for short-term or long-term addressing,
the mechanism can be the same.   Something 'DSTM-like' *could* be used for
scenarios with long-term stable addresses in use.   In principle there could
be a mix of long-term stable global addresses (servers) and IPv4+NAT (clients)
on the network.

If the site's only IPv4 communication requirements over IPv6 infrastructure
are internal, then private IPv4 addresses should be just fine.

>  - the DSTM spec is not clear enough on its scope and intent and
> should not be referred to in a WG document.  My own take here is (if I
> understand the intent of the spec) that we don't (anymore) require a
> document like that, but rather should concentrate (in some other WG
> like softwires, it's out of charter here) on creating the actual
> protocol specification(s).

Which is exactly what was suggested - take the 'DSTM-like' requirements and
potential solutions into the softwires WG.

But I would still maintain that the ent-analysis must include the 'IPv6
dominant' scenario, talk about the issues we've discussed on this list, and
can cite DSTM as an example (the only example to date?) of a solution
approach.   The text can also say that further work on nailing down the
'DSTM-like' protocol details is required, and could even recommend that that
happens in softwires.   That's pretty similar to how Teredo was supported
in the unman analysis I recall.

What actually emerges from softwires, well, we'll just have to wait and see;
so far there hasn't been any charter discussion.

--
Tim/::1