Re:

On Aug 29, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
So, can we call this a new (extension, mechanism, method, etc.) instead of a new protocol and run it past the v6ops charter again?

If it uses IPv4 fields but re-interprets them in a way that RFCs 791, 1122/3, 1812, 1349, and 2474 don't discuss, it is a change to IPv4. I would suggest discussing it in a working group that suggests modifications to IPv4. If it's implemented in a header outside of IPv4, it's a new protocol, and needs to be discussed in a WG that deals with that.