RE: Link Adaptation for IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels

Hello Fred,

A while back, we had an exchange on the v6ops list regarding
a proposal for doing link adaptation over IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels.
Your comments pointed out a glaring error that is (hopefully)
fixed now. See:

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-linkadapt-01.txt

Although the gist of the ensuing discussion was that the
document could not be worked out of v6ops since it proposes
a new mechanism/protocol, one angle we did not explore was
whether it could be contributed as an extension to an
*existing* v6ops work item.

In particular, what the link adapation work proposes could
make for a natural extension to "Basic Transition Mechanisms"
(i.e., draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2-07) and would in fact complete
that work in such a way that other transition mechanisms that
cite [MECH] can also take advantage of the larger MTUs.

Can this work be contributed as an extension to [MECH]?

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com