Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-bcp-00.txt

At 09:32 a.m. 19/10/2005, Elwyn Davies wrote:

This new wg draft was published this week. It is a substantial rewrite of the individual draft which Janos and I published in July.

It now covers all the messages that are currently defined for ICMPv6 and is written in a format which should make it easier for administrators to crate firewall rules from it.

Comments would be appreciated.

A couple of issues that seem to be missing:

* There's no mention of ICMP attacks against TCP. I have authored a draft on this issue, along with counter-measures. You can find my internet-draft at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-icmp-attacks-04.txt . You should probably mention the attacks, and provide a reference to my draft for further discussion.

* There's no mention of ingress and egress ICMP-filtering based on the payload of ICMP messages. You can find a description of such an "advanced" filtering in Section 4.3 ("Filtering ICMP error messages based on the ICMP payload") of my internet-draft "ICMP attacks against TCP", too.

Kindest regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@acm.org