Re: v6ops:IPv4 vs. IPv6 operational costs

My assumption is that there will be a one-off operational cost of updating
procedures and scripts, and re-training of staff, when a network switches
to dual stack. But after that peak, IPv6 will just be part of normal
operations and won't stand out as a separate cost at all.

Of course, if you choose a complex co-existence strategy, interworking
boxes will create operations costs of their own. Anybody who's operated
protocol gateways of any kind knows this. That's why I've always been
a strong advocate of straightforward dual stack solutions.

A few years down the road, the simplicity due to having enough address
space and no more NAT-related glitches and complexities should contain
operations costs - but that really is intangible today.

    Brian