Re: Tiny fragments and IPv6

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:25:11AM -0800, Vishwas Manral wrote:
> Hi Margaret,
>
> One small difference is that we can have a lot of extension headers in IPv6 while we do not have the same in IPv4. In IPv4 the TCP header if present will be just after the IPv4 header, which may not be the case in IPv6 (because of the extension headers). Besides STD 5, RFC 791 states:-
>
>       Every internet module must be able to forward a datagram of 68
>       octets without further fragmentation.  This is because an internet
>       header may be up to 60 octets, and the minimum fragment is 8
>       octets.

Well, this is because in some cases fragments cannot be made smaller if
they are to contain a maximum size IP header. I don't think it prohibits
smaller fragments. Isn't this sort of similar to the 1280 limit in IPv6?
You shouldn't need to fragment IPv6 datagrams of 1280 or less...

What I mainly would have like to see, both for IPv4 and IPv6, is some-
thing saying that fragments MUST not be overlapped. When receiving such
one could then just discard them...

Stig