From: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 4:25 AM
To: Daniel Roesen
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: V6ops: IPv6 site multihoming best practices

Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 02:47:37PM -0500, Dwight Jamieson wrote:
>
>>In the absence of mature protocol support for site multi-homing
>>(shim6),
>

> shim6 is not a site multihoming protocol, and that's the one of the
> biggest problems of it. shim6 is (supposed to be) host multihoming.

Actually, it is supposed to be for hosts inside multihomed sites, and I
would maintain that it *is* a site multihoming solution, but implemented
in the host TCP/IP stack. But it isn't yet fully specified and deployed,
so naturally there are not yet best practice recommendations. We know
that its interaction with traffic engineering practices still has to be
defined.

However, that discussion belongs over in shim6.

>>what are the best practice recommendations for an enterprise or
>>service provider?
>

> Use BGP for what it was designed. To connect autonomous systems in the

> routing domain. There is no alternative yet, and none in sight.

We know that doesn't scale, and that was the reason the multi6 WG
existed and why we converged on a scaleable solution. But if you need to
multihome an IPv6 site today, well, yes, you probably have to use the
techniques described for IPv4 in RFC 4116. Just don't expect that to
work in a 10 billion node network.

     Brian