Re: V6ops: IPv6 site multihoming best practices

Pekka Savola wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Dwight, here is a sequence of discussion from old multi6 list.
As you can see, it isn't clear that 3178 really meets all
needs.

Brian, I think the two important needs we should see from that discussion:

1) "RFC 3178 might be too complex to set up or use" (operational complexity of tunnels, tunnel overhead, etc.)

 2) folks want independence, i.e., PI addresses

Shim6 doesn't meet the need 2) either, while it may help a bit with 1). I don't know if 1) would be too big of a hurdle if folks didn't need to consider 2).

Independence of what? With agile multihoming, you don't need your
prefix to be independent of your ISP; the argument is circular.
If you want stable internal addressing, you can use an SLA prefix.

   Brian