Re: RFC4214 to standard?

On 2007-03-28 13:58, Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Espoo) wrote:
Brian,

Teredo (RFC4380) is actually a proposed standard. So, I think that deals at
least 50% of you can of worms... ;)

Yeah, my bad. I must have balloted on that one too. Red face.

Anyways, to my understanding getting something to proposed standard does not
need wide deployment or great level of usage. You need something like that
when moving from proposed upwards. So, in that regard I would see this whole
discussion missing the point.

Not entirely. With something as operational as an IPv6 coexistence mechanism,
I would rate evidence of deployability as quite important in the decision.

I also agree with FredT that there is some evidence of ISATAP being deployed
(at least as much as TEREDO as it seems to be in the XP stacks, and I have
heard that it would be also in Vista - perhaps somebody from Microsoft can
verify that).

I think the main point of the discussion should be if there is enough
experience gathered to move ISATAP from experimental to PS. I think the
people who are deploying it might be the best people to answer.

Yes, I don't disagree with that. In fact that's why I think v6ops is
the right place for the discussion.

   Brian

I'm sure that Kurtis and FredB can state then depending the conclusion of
the discussion, if v6ops is the right place, or would individual submission
to the IESG be better if it is decided to go forward at this point.

Cheers,

Jonne.