RE: ISATAP links connect *router* interfaces

Brian,

> But have all implementations done that? 6to4 was specifically
> designed for router-only implementation; the first
> widely shipped implementation was for host-based 6to4,
> which has well-known issues.

I haven't done a survey of the widely-deployed implementations,
but a host-based ISATAP would be a degenerate case since it
requires that a global IPv6 address with ISATAP interface ID
be assigned on the ISATAP interface and that the ISATAP host
somehow establish trust relationships with ISATAP routers on
the link.

Having the ISATAP nodes act as routers on the ISATAP link
alleviates these issues since only link-locals need be
assigned on the ISATAP interface, and since the trust basis
between routers on the same ISATAP link would be the same as
the trust model for routers attached to any other type of
link in the Internet.

Note that when I say "ISATAP nodes act as routers", I am
specifically not meaning to say that this is restricted
to platforms that we have traditionally thought of as
being routers, since sometimes the end nodes themselves
can be configured as hybrid hosts/routers.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com