Re: IPv4 to IPv6 Migration Incentive Address Space proposal

On 2-jul-2007, at 9:20, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Have people here looked at this? It's "interesting".

http://bill.herrin.us/arin-policy-proposal.html

I'm afraid well-intentioned initiatives like this which have the potential for significant problems down the road are unavoidable in the current IETF/ICANN/RIR address management model.

The trouble is that new policies like this are proposed on a weekly basis, and once one slips through in one RIR, all the others feel they need to do the same thing and the race to the bottom is on.

Now I'm not saying "the only way to get address space is a PA block if you have 200 IPv6 customers" is the solution, but at least with that in effect we weren't creating an IPv6 swamp while looking for what the solution should be. And if everyone who currently has an AS has their IPv6 PI block, I doubt we'll see much interest in coming up with something good for the long term.