Re: IPv4 to IPv6 Migration Incentive Address Space proposal

> > 	http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=apnic+ogino+ipv4&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>
> It is quite different IMHO, reading through
> http://www.apnic.net/meetings/11/presentations/time-limit-prop.ppt
>
> it contains a very interesting concept, at least if I understand it
> correctly, a wee summary:
>  - ISP's can get IPv4 address space based on light justification in
>    a very easy and cheap way
>  - The allocation given is only allowed to be used for period X time
>  - When it expires, the allocation is returned to the free pool.
>  - When it expires, the ISP should move to IPv6 or another
>    IPv4 block based on the policies at hand.
>
> This allows startup ISP's to get IPv4 space easily and start using it,
> gaining customers and then get on a roll completely. Which is cool for
> startups, especially the "move to IPv6" portion.
>
> At least that is how I understand from the slide-set. (Correct me as I
> will most likely be wrong ;)

	i think you got the points right.  RIR policy documents are a bit more
	cryptic than RFCs even for me :-)

> For existing ISP's or what the ARIN has as "legacy spaceholders" this
> won't help much though.
>
> For most RIR regions one simply has to become member of the RIR, which
> means one becomes an LIR in most regions, then one can justify address
> space and get whatever sizes you want, for IPv6 in general a /32.
> Total cost of that ~3k initially, and maybe 1k yearly, which should be
> only a very small portion of cash that one has to invest in a startup
> ISP anyway comparing to overhead like people/hardware/transit/etc etc.

	caveat: i'm no way professional in RIR stuff.

	i guess the background of the story is that, JPNIC has been (i'm not
	sure if it still is) practicing super-conservertive policy which even
	beats APNIC policy.  yes, i think ARIN is more conservertive than
	RIPE/ARIN, but i could be wrong.  it has been almost impossible for
	us to apply for PI address space if i act as a private entity, for
	instance.  of course i would not be able to get PA as long as i am
	not a certified ISP.  many ISPs are applying for APNIC address space
	to bypass JPNIC policy (so what is the point in having LIR...).

itojun