Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 03:13:04PM +0200, Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve) wrote:
> My believe is that either 'DHCP' OR 'RA' provides this exclusively and
> not by both.
> What if a host receives from both an announcement? (we could create
> policies etc... however
> policies just complicates these aspects.).

Thus: "why run DHCP at all"...

> Would central services not be best announced by a central capable
> technology?

There is nothing inherently more or less "central capable" in DHCP than
in RA.

Without DHCP relay, DHCP isn't very much "centralized" (and it's easily
imaginable that folks run per-subnet DHCP servers, handing out different
information) - and a central management solution could easily make RA
"central capable", given router vendor support.

Just because *some* current IPv4 deployments favour DHCP doesn't mean that
it's the right approach for *all* future IPv6 deployments.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  122119

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279