Re: Fwd: [ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Size Reduction

Thus spake "Mark Smith" <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:31:10 +0100
Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> wrote:
I thought this would be interesting reading for the working group.

I think the best thing to do is ignore it. If it gets any traction in
ARIN, then we might have to do something.

It doesn't appear to have much support at the present time. OTOH, those of us active in the ARIN community would appreciate pointers to RFCs that say this idea is or isn't valid so that we have as much guidance from the IETF as possible. So far, we've unearthed a bunch of RFCs that make recommendations, many of which obsolete or contradict each other and none of which seem to give absolute rules. This was, I believe, the motivation for Michael Dillon's recent message with the subject "An example of what is wrong with the IETF's IPv6 documentation". It's hard for the RIRs to figure out what exactly what the IETF's authoritative direction is, and we do try to follow that when it makes reasonable sense.

(I'm embarrassed to be listed in the acknowledgements section of the
related draft, because it can imply I agree with it - and my position is
the complete opposite - I'm even fairly strongly anti-/56.)

If you object to it, please ask the author to remove you. I agree that an acknowledgement implies support; a reference would not.