Change window splitting behavior?

Hi all,

I've had a love/hate relationship with Gnus for many years.  I'm just getting into WL, and I have to say I am very impressed.  Once you get over the hurdle of installing WL, it seems so much more like a mail/news client... while Gnus seems more and more like a construction kit for news/mail clients that never quite got pulled together into a coherent application.

One thing that still bothers me about WL, though:
Computer screens are getting wider and wider, and yet UIs (especially those of mail clients, for some reason) seem to split windows into two vertically-stacked sub-windows.  This leaves me reading only a few extremely long lines and scrolling a lot, unable to see the big picture.  And if the message happens to have line breaks already, it wastes a large percentage of my screen real-estate.  I feel like I'm looking through my front door's mail delivery slot.

Gnus has an elaborate system that I can use to specify window layout, so I set up something like this:

  +-----------+----------+
  | folders   | message/ |
  |           | article  |
  +-----------+          |
  | summary   |          |

Is there any way to get something similar from wanderlust?

Thanks,

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing