Compose using message-mail?

Why does WL have its own composition mode?  I find it problematic:

0. Duplicated functionality has a high maintenance cost
1. I'm not used to the keybindings (solvable)
2. It has a highlighting bug

The specific highlighting bug is that if I put the cursor in the middle
of a cited line, e.g.

  > foo bar baz
           ^--- here

hit return, and start typing (as I often do when I need to respond to
specific points in a post), the new text gets highlighted as though it
was part of the citation, even though its lines don't start with `>'.

Is there a way to get WL to use message-mail for composition?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing