Ping: Question about nntp

Sorry if this looks like a duplicate posting to anyone.  I just
realized that since I tacked my message to an extremely old thread,
anyone reading the newsgroup may fail to see it.  I'm having all of
the problems mentioned in the attached posting with a CVS Wanderlust
from a week or two ago.  Can anyone address these issues?

--- Begin Message ---
Hello everyone,

I know many people here read mail in Wanderlust and news in Gnus. If
possible, however, I would like to try read nntp groups in Wanderlust.

One puzzle I have encountered is how to mark all items in an nntp
group as read without having to update the entire group (i.e.,
downloading all the headers). In Gnus, when subscribing to a new
group, I generally hit "c" in order to mark all items as read. For
instance, gmane.emacs.orgmode has over 16,000 articles. In gnus, I can
mark these all as read without having to download the headers. That
way, whenever I want to see, say, the last 1000 articles using "/ o" or
the like, the earlier articles will appear in Gnus as read.

In Wanderlust, trying to mark all items as read forces an update. With
the default settings, Wanderlust tries to download all 16,000+ headers
(an expensive operation, one that often takes several minutes) just to
mark them as read. If I choose to update only the 500 most recent
headers, Wanderlust will "kill" the earlier articles, but it will not
mark them as read. Let's say a little later I want to sync the folder
using the range "all-entirely" in order to see the 1000 most recently
articles. The 500 additional articles will appear as unread - which
causes problems if I have not yet read the most recent new articles,
since I then manually need to mark the older articles as read.

Such problems are compounded when filtering articles using virtual
folders. As far as I can tell, creating ad-hoc virtual folders changes
the the stored kill and sort state of the original folder, so when I
reenter the folder, it is as if I am entering it for the first time.
(I.e., I am prompted for the number of articles I want to see and they
are sorted according to the default sort settings rather than the most
recent sort state.) IMO such behavior makes it rather expensive (and
slow) to do quick search queries of a group by subject, author, etc.
(The comparison here is Gnus very fast "/ a" and "/ s" and "/ o"
filters.)

1) Is there a variable that instructs Wanderlust automatically to mark
all killed items in a group as read (without having to update all
headers)?

2) Is there a way to make virtual filters temporary? I.e., is there a
way to "pop" the previous state of a folder after running a filter?
(similar to "/ w" in Gnus?)

3) Is there a way to specify a default number of "killed" articles for
a group. That is, how can I instruct Wanderlust automatically to kill
all but the most recent 200 articles when entering the folder?

Thanks in advance for your help, and my apologies if I've missed
something obvious in the documentation.

Best,
Matt
--