Re: Display of unicode characters?

At Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:18:58 +0100,
Juergen Fuhrmann wrote:

> At Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:38:42 -0500,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >

> > When I read messages in WL that contain non-ASCII characters such as curly quotes, e.g.:
> >
> >    this is surrounded by curly quotes
> >
> > it seems they are replaced by spaces.  Is there a way to fix that?
>
> Dave,
>
> I am not  sure, but may be you  stuck into the same problem  as I did,
> for a possible solution, please  see my previous posting to this list.
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general/2768

I'm sorry, I see the post but I can't find anything that looks like a
concise description of a solution there.

> The point  is that  with rev. 23  emacs changed its  internal encoding
> from mule to unicode, so the emacs version upgrade with the current wl
> release is a bit bumpy, and needs  to invoke a CVS version of wl

I'm using wl from CVS: Wanderlust/2.15.7 (Almost Unreal)

> and a patch as far as unicode is concerned.

I couldn't find a patch there.  Can you help?

> I  can send  and receive  unicode encoded  messages  without problems
> (Meanwhile I am using the vanilla version of Emacs 23 on OpenSUSE
> 11.2)

I'm using 23.1.1 on MacOS.

> Some people  here (mainly Vitaly Mayatskikh) already  have their hands
> on that issue, so in a new release it could be resolved.
>
> Another possible point: I looked at your header:
>
> Wanderlust/2.15.7 (Almost Unreal)
> SEMI/1.14.6 (Maruoka)
> FLIM/1.14.9 (Gojō)
> APEL/10.7 Emacs/23.1
> (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0) <--- LOL

You mock?

> MULE/6.0 (HANACHIRUSATO) <--- makes me wonder...

About what?

> ... because mule should be obsolete in emacs 23 due to the change of the
> internal encoding. May be there is some obsolete code in your .emacs ?

None that I can find.  Most mentions of MULE are in fact in wl and its
dependent packages.

> And for a quick check: do you see umlauts and unicode characters here ?
> (for me, all these are working).
>
> German: ae===  oe===  ue=== ss==
Yep, they work.

> Russian:
> На берегу пустынных вол� Стоял он, дум великих полн,
> И вдаль глядел. Пред ним широк� Река неслася; бедный чёл� По ней стремился одиноко.
> По мшистым, топким берега� Чернели избы здесь и там,
> Приют убогого чухонца;
> И лес, неведомый луча� В тумане спрятанного солнца,
> Кругом шумел.

Yep, works.

> Polish: złoty dąb wędka żuk
> czech: šumava česky straž květy
> Chinese: 我能吞下玻璃而不伤身体。
> Chinese (Traditional): 我能吞下玻璃而不傷身體。
> Japanese: 私はガラスを食べられます。それは私を傷つけません。
> Korean: 나는 유리를 먹을 수 있어요. 그래도 아프지 않아요

Ditto.  So are you seeing the curly quotes in my original message?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing